Sunday, February 16, 2020

Communicating GIS - Module 5 Lab - Analytics and Info-graphics

 Hello Everyone!

This week's lab focused all on infographics and data analytics. These mediums have such a powerful potential to illustrate data in a meaningful way. For my infographic, I attempted to analyze and illustrate the correlation between obesity in America and excessive drinking. To my surprise, there is actually a negative correlation between these two variables even though alcoholic beverages are so high in carbs and calories. Below my analytic page layout can be found.


For this layout, I used a few interesting infographic modules. I first used a chart showing the increasing trend in obesity in the United States. I used a scatterplot illustrating the negative correlation between the two variables I was showing. Additionally, I used a chart showing the top three counties in the US with the highest percentage of obesity and excessive drinking and a bar chart showing the average nationwide percentages for my variables. Finally, I used two choropleth maps illustrating the distribution of my two variables. 

This infographic really was very eye-opening, I thought for sure that these to variables were correlated. As can be seen on the map, the highest percentage of the obese population tend to be in the south, and the highest percentage of drinking populations can be found in the north. But why is this? I believe there are a few factors as to why there is this negative correlation. The first is that the diet of the south is much different than that of the north where the south has a lot of 'comfort foods'. Additionally, the south is the home of the bible belt where alcohol consumption may be less due to religious belief/preference. Finally, the north consists of large beer powerhouses where high alcohol consumption is present.

~ Map On!

No comments:

Post a Comment