Sunday, April 7, 2019

GIS 50007L - Module 11: 3D Mapping

Hello Everyone! 

It's hard to believe that this is the second to last module in my Cartography class! This weeks lab was all about 3D mapping. For this lab, I was lucky to take a 3D mapping class from ESRI to practice my 3D mapping skills. For this educational class, I had 3 main exercises. First, I created a map of crater link with a linked view of a 2D map and a 3D scene. When I zoom or navigate in one of the panes, it zooms and navigates in the other. Second, I created a 3D scene of downtown San Diego to find a suitable hotel with an ocean view and shade for a convention being held there. Finally, I made a 3D scene of San Diego with realistic 3D building textures and realistic trees. I also included two additional layouts, one of the convention center and one of a hotel nearby (seen below).

Finally, I created a building footprint of Boston that I then exported to use in Google Earth that other people can use. 3D mapping has a variety of uses. For example, you wanted to get a good 3D scene representation of a city, you could. One of the advantages of using 3D mapping is that you can visualize features much better in 3D than you can in 2D. With this informational form of mapping comes a challenge. 3D mapping is quite a processive intensive process and sometimes it can be difficult to visualize the data you want without difficulty. While 3D maps can show information in a completely new way, they can be hard to print in a 2D layout. 

I look forward to finishing my last module next week on Google Earth and as always ~Map On!

No comments:

Post a Comment