Sunday, March 31, 2019

GIS 50007L - Module 10: Dot Density Mapping

Hello Everyone! 

For this weeks lab, I created a dot density map. Dot density maps use dots to visualize a certain number of geographic phenomenon. For this map, I created a dot density map of the population of South Florida from the year 2010. To create this map, I fully used ArcGIS Pro. I took the data from south Florida and then joined the census data in order to get the population from each county. After the join, I symbolized the data of population using dot density where the value of each dot was the right size and count. For my map, each dot represents 2,000 people. Next, using the water features feature mask, I was better able to represent the distribution of the population. To add to my map, I labeled four major cities but also classified the four types of surface water features. 


While dot density mapping is an effective thematic mapping style, one needs to take into account the dot size and density as it is easy to misrepresent the data. Stay tuned as we add another dimension to our maps in 3D Mapping and as always ~Map On!

No comments:

Post a Comment