Saturday, September 7, 2019

Special Topics in GIS - Module 1.2: Data Quality - Standards

Hello Everyone!

This weeks lab is an extension of Spatial Data Quality. For this weeks lab, I did my data quality assessment according to the National Standard for Spatial Data Accuracy (NSSDA). According to the NSSDA, some criteria need to be met when selecting test points. For this lab, I was given two road datasets. One data set is Albuquerque streets from the city of Albuquerque. The second road dataset is Albuquerque streets from StreetMap USA which is distributed from ESRI. Finally, I was provided several satellite aerial images of the study area portion of Albuquerque divided into quadrangles. When comparing the road datasets to the satellite aerial images, it was evident that on the surface, the two datasets had very differing positional accuracy from each other. For my positional accuracy analysis, I chose 20 randomly selected intersection points within one of the provided aerial image quadrangles of Albuquerque. Proper intersections that I chose for analysis were cross(+) intersections and right angle '90-degree' 'T' intersections. Per the NSDAA standards, my test points had a distribution of at least 20 percent of points in each quadrant of my aerial quadrangle and at least 10 percent spacing (at least 370 feet apart) distance of the diagonal length of the quadrangle. To select these points, I created intersection points for both road datasets using a geoprocessing tool within ArcGIS Pro. I then selected the random test points at the appropriate type of intersection ensuring to select the correct intersection for both road datasets and following the aforementioned NSDAA distribution/spacing rules. My test points can be seen below for one of the road datasets:


Once my test points had been selected, I then digitized reference points to compare the positional accuracy bases on the aerial satellite imagery location of each intersection. Once the test points and reference points were created, test points were assigned matching Point IDs with the reference points so their coordinate values could easily be analyzed. After assigning XY coordinate values to both sets of test points and my reference points, I exported them as DBF files and then plugged them into a positional accuracy spreadsheet provided by the NSSDA that calculates the positional accuracy using the 95th percentile. Essentially the table compares the XY position of each test point to its matching reference point (the importance of matching Point IDs for both test points and reference point). This sheet calculated the following values. Sum, Mean, Root Mean Square Error (RMSE), and the National Standard for Spatial Data Accuracy statistic which multiplies the RMSE by a value of 1.7308 (95th Percentile for Horizontal Accuracy) to yield the horizontal positional accuracy at the 95th percentile. My formal accuracy statements can be found below that meet the NSSDA guidelines:

ABQ Streets Test Points:
Horizontal Positional Accuracy: Tested 14.106 feet horizontal accuracy at 95% confidence level.
Vertical Positional Accuracy: Not applicable

Street Map USA Test Points:
Horizontal Positional Accuracy: Tested 258.682 feet horizontal accuracy at 95% confidence level.
Vertical Positional Accuracy: Not applicable

I genuinely enjoyed working through this weeks lab and look forward to sharing more special topics with you and as always... ~Map On!

No comments:

Post a Comment